Sunday, October 25, 2009

Saw a little of myself in Frankie

Overall, I would have to say that I really enjoyed The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart. There were some very real issues presented in the book, specifically gender and class, and I think it could really spark some interesting questions, especially for the young women reading it. Whether or not you believe Frankie was true to herself or got too caught up in everything, that question alone opens up for further discussions, and I think that shows true value in a book.

I can remember going through some of the many things Frankie experienced, suddenly physically maturing, getting a little wrapped up in the opposite sex, etc. I'd say that was junior high age. By the time I got to high school, I had taken on a very strong female persona, where I did not need a guy to feel validated, though I saw many of my friends continue to get too caught up, leave their friends behind while they're dating a new guy, and all of those other issues that arise. Over the years, it's become more apparent the gender issues that our society faces.

I'll never forget my senior year of high school when we did an enneagram test, in which personalities are classified into 9 types, ranging from peacemaker and helper to asserter and adventurer. I took the class my second semester, and on the first day of class, our teacher asked us if any of our friends who took the class first semester had already told us what number we were. I raised my hand and said my friends had told me I was an 8, or the asserter/challenger. He raised his eyebrows and ever-s0-condescendingly said, "Hmm, we often refer to girl 8's as a word that begins with a 'b', if ya know what I mean."

I was furious. It's okay for a boy to be assertive and strong, but if I am as a female, I'm a bitch? Unbelievable. I could not help but think Frankie faces some of these issues in the book: how strong is too strong, will the guys not like her if she's too strong or too weak? Where is that happy medium, and how does a girl and emerging woman establish herself as strong and independent without society calling her a bitch, or worse?

As I was reading this book, I did enjoy the silly pranks, funny scenes, and characters, but for me, the message was so much more. I can really imagine bringing some gender issues to the forefront in a classroom. I worry about the alienation of males, but I do think that they should be a part of the conversation, as they are a part of the society that perpetuates these gender roles. They need to realize that both genders must take responsibility for this issue.

Like I said, I really liked the book, but I more loved the issues that it brought to the forefront, and for me I placed more emphasis on gender than class. I could really see this book working in a classroom, and I could also really see my students enjoying it as well.

1 comment:

  1. Having the space for you to include anecdotes like the one involving your sexist teacher reinforces in my mind the value of blog entries as a genre--where so many approaches to discussing the literature are possible, including personal ones.

    ReplyDelete