Saturday, November 21, 2009

Not my cup of tea, but enjoyable

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore was a part of our "page turners" section of this class, and it falls specifically under fantasy with a very visible element of romance as well throughout. I'm not a fantasy person, but the book was definitely fun, smart, and enjoyable.

I could see where it was a YA book, but I also felt at times that the book was really mature. The romance was fairly mature, and there was a non-detailed sex scene at one point, but the characters themselves were very mature for their ages. The romance is fairly mature, and there is a very present issue of marriage and if you should get married and why or why not, which I thought to be advanced as well for some young readers. Although I suppose they might just not pick up on it.

This book obviously displays an extreme case, but it begs the question, do you use the powers (whatever they might be) you have to rule over people just because you can? Because the government has power over its people, should they take advantage of it? Or should they rule FOR the people?

The only issue I had with this book is this sort of question. Teen readers say they want something to "relate to" and such, but is this question really relevant in their lives? On some level maybe, but it's seems to be sort of a strange and abstract question. Even the romance, like I said, is so mature, it seems a little much for teen readers.

Though I think it was an interesting and enjoyable read, I would probably recommend it to an older crowd interested in fantasy, and I'm not sure I'd use it in the classroom. I just think there are so many other books out there with more pressing issues for high schoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment