Sunday, October 4, 2009

A special dedication to my 16 year old brother Ryan

I will be the first to tell my brother that being a boy is no excuse to not like reading. It is not "uncool" or "girly" to like to read. It is important to be able to read and even better if you like it.
However, it's certainly an interesting point to look at the majority of popular books out there, and they seem to seek a female audience. This reinforcing that 'reading is for girls' is not good for anyone. Where oh where can we find 'boy books'?

If any of this rang a bell for you, never fear! Robert Cormier is here!

The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier was not only a great literary classic by an incredibly talented author, but it is the kind of book that can draw almost any audience. I would hesitate to call it a "boy book" as I really liked it myself, a 21 year old female, but it definitely had a more masculine feel than most of the books I've read so far.

The story follows Jerry Renault, a freshman at an all boys high school who has an encounter with the infamous Vigils, a school gang of upperclassmen boys. This gang gives out "assignments" to intimidate the younger boys and display their power. The assignments are not dangerous or violent, rather rule-breaking and embarrassing.

The main conflict is a result of Jerry's assignment- to refuse to sell chocolates for the school-wide fundraiser being heavily pushed by the administration. The situation certainly escalates, and Jerry is left with an internal conflict and decision to make.

I point this out as a book that boys might like for a few factors, and most of them are pretty obvious. First, we have our male narrator, an immediate draw. Then we have the plot itself- an all-boys school, pranks, gang action, some violence, some sports scenes, and more. Finally, and I think most importantly in a school setting are the themes presented. Jerry and the rest of these boys are easily influenced, intimidated, and coerced into these assignments. Doesn't this happen every day? Aren't boys dealing with issues in the same way girls are?

In terms of this book in the classroom, it would really fit perfectly. I think though Cormier's book is well-suited for boys, it reaches beyond that audience, which really is an accomplishment. As I mentioned, I really thought it was hilarious, and I even found myself laughing out loud at some of the pranks pulled. I also found myself involved with the characters, worried about their decisions, and getting inside their heads.

Finally, it is SO well-written. Some of the language Cormier uses is so beautiful and perfectly appropriate for the feelings he wants to evoke and the meaning he wants to portray. Not only would this book work for a novel unit, but it would fit right into a writing lesson as well. Pulling specific passages from the novel would serve to help students write more effectively. And reminding those boys that a man wrote this book wouldn't hurt either.

So Ryan, get ready, because we're going to read this book over Christmas break when I get home, and you may even thank me. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment